Monday 25 April 2011

The Picture of Dorian Gray

My God I should be studying. Going in to town in about half an hour so I figured I'd just tell everyone reading this about a book they should read!

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde is by far and away one of my favourite novels, it explores the nature of hedonism (the idea that pleasure is the only good thing in life) and how the main character Dorian's soul decays as a result of his actions. It's absolutely amazingly written, and even if you aren't a massive fan of literature I honestly urge you to give it a look, I could not nor would not put it down. It is Oscar Wilde's only published novel, which is amazing considering how bloody good it is! I'm reluctant to tell you the full idea of the plot (not that Google couldn't do that anyway!) but it's something that honestly has to be read to be understood fully. 10/10 definitely.

I think I might start doing little book reviews on this. Not all the time, just when I think it's worth it or absolutely terrible. Hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment